Thursday, April 5, 2012

April Fool's

What did you guys do for April Fool's Day? Nothing? Yeah, that's what I figured. Here's what I did... I know what you're saying, "it's a little late now!" Well, maybe you can file this away in your thinking cap for next year then. Do you file things in your thinking cap? Anyway...


I made "Grilled Cheese" Sandwiches and "Cupcakes". What's that?... You don't see anything so great about those? Check it out then smarty pants! Just like I said. Except it isn't. 


Okay, so the sandwiches are actually poundcake that I made from a mix (don't tell on me). I sliced it after it cooled off and then toasted each slice in the toaster. Then take a can of frosting (again with the judgement?) and I added some yellow and red food coloring until it looked roughly the color of that crappy American Cheese-food stuff that comes all wrapped in individual slices. GROSS. Anyway, the trick is to slather it on kinda thick so it oozes out just a little when you put the two slices together to form the sandwich. Then slice them in half and put on a plate. Totally convincing, right?!


For the "cupcakes" I made my usual meatloaf, even snuck in some veggies (hee hee) put the meat mixture in foil cupcake liners in muffin pans and then bake them off at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. While those were cooking I peeled and boiled some potatoes until tender (I suppose you could use instant if you really insist). Then put in some butter and milk, salt and pepper. Mixed this up real good with an electric mixer. Please don't use your food processor here. It tends to make the potatoes all gluey. The key is to get them really smooth, so you may need a little extra butter or milk than the usual mashed potato mixture, just careful not to get them runny. Plop a spoonful on top of each baked meat muffin. If you want it to look extra convincing, add a few drops of food coloring to the potatoes when you mix them. I did pink. To be real fancy, I chopped up some red bell pepper and chives very tiny in the food processor to get something resembling sprinkles. I added these on top of the potato for decoration.


Happy Belated April Fool's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment